we might just be crazy enough…

20 Nov

IMG_5390 IMG_5391 IMG_5393 IMG_5399

Our little rascal of a firstborn is turning out pretty okay, so we thought it could be awesome to have another kid in med school.  John, Aurelia, and I are over-the-moon happy, looking forward to welcoming a new little one to our pack in May 2014!  Photos above are from Halloween, as I was just entering my second trimester, and we were starting to come out to close family and friends.

photo (78)

I’m now at 15 weeks gestation and officially into the sweet spot of pregnancy.  My body seems to have fallen into its former pregnancy frame much more quickly.  I woke up one morning last week wondering if I suddenly had a bump or merely the all too standard food baby; a friend later confirmed: “Definitely have a gut.”  Tried to get John to snap a few pictures during our brief moments of overlap this evening…(not the best lighting, but I thought the scattered toddler toys add a certain whimsical, and entirely realistic, quality.)

photo (77) photo (76) photo (75)

This pregnancy has included some interesting challenges that have had me rather preoccupied these last few weeks, though there have been a number of uniquely tender, thoughtful moments as well.  I look forward to sharing them.  I’m having trouble even imagining what having two little ones 19 months apart will be like, but we are thrilled to start this new adventure!

Advertisements

23 Responses to “we might just be crazy enough…”

1. Catherine November 20, 2013 at 6:11 am #

Oh my goodness, what happy news! Congratulations to you and John!!

• annaojesus November 20, 2013 at 6:14 am #

Thank you so much!! We’re thrilled 🙂 xoxo

2. Kristen November 20, 2013 at 6:36 am #

Love!

3. Todd November 20, 2013 at 7:23 am #

Congratulations! That is fantastic! Our first two were 18 months apart, which is certainly trying but a lot of fun. Enjoy!

• annaojesus November 20, 2013 at 8:36 am #

Thank you so much! I have a feeling there’s no way to prepare for the adjustment? I’m just expecting to be blown away by the initial challenges, but really looking forward to it nonetheless!! 🙂

4. phantomdiver November 20, 2013 at 8:28 am #

Many congratulations!!! Rosie and Andrew’s first two are 19 months apart, and they seem to be doing just fine. I’m sure it will be a stressful time, but you’ll be glad deep down and in the long run!

• annaojesus November 20, 2013 at 8:37 am #

Oh thank you! I’m happy to have a number of examples of couples/families who have not only survived but thrived 🙂 I hope they like each other!

• phantomdiver November 20, 2013 at 8:54 am #

A lot of that is up to you. I remember Patrick (our oldest) coming home and being sad because his friend at school had just gotten a new baby and felt that he wasn’t important any more. We were expecting Rosie at the time. So I jumped into action.

“Paddy, you know babies can’t do very much. I mean, we love them and all that, but really all they can do is nurse, pee, poop, sleep, and cry. But you can do so much! And that baby will think you are so wonderful! You can show the baby how to do so many things!”

Patrick brightened up. “I will teach the baby how to hip and hop!”

And sure enough, a few months later, we found him near Rosie’s crib performing to a fascinated Rosie. “See, Rosie! This is how you hip and hop!”

The thing is, I’m the youngest (as are you, right?) and I know that older siblings are the object of great interest to babies and small children. They can do so much stuff! Man! They are like grown-ups, only better, sometimes!

So some of it is really about mind games, but it’s actually emphasizing the positive. See these links:

John Paul was born on 7/15/09 and Cecilia on 1/28/11, so they’re at the same interval as your two. Ask Rosie if you want tips. She’s all about that kind of info.

5. Ash November 20, 2013 at 8:55 am #

You are so adorable and I love you!

Also, “med school twins” = the new “Irish twins” 😉

6. makingbiscuits November 20, 2013 at 12:08 pm #

Hi Anna! I recently discovered your blog and it’s so great. I’m going to be starting med school next fall at age 30, and my husband and I are hoping to have kids. How does maternity leave work at school? Can you point me to any specific posts or give me any advice re:

• makingbiscuits November 20, 2013 at 12:09 pm #

oops sorry pressed Post too soon! meant to say “re: having kids during med school, timing etc.” Thanks!

7. Tina S. November 20, 2013 at 3:26 pm #

So exciting! And you look great! Are you going to find out if it’s a girl or boy in a few weeks, or leave this one as a surprise?

8. MS3 November 20, 2013 at 3:47 pm #

Congrats!! I just started following your blog not too long ago. Was wondering too about your timing for things. I’m an MS3, and we are going to start trying for numero uno this month (early 4th year is the goal)…just wondering about taking Step 2, sub-i etc. if I don’t take time off. Is it doable? Don’t know of anyone personally who’s done it. Eek. But congrats again! Beautiful family.

9. Rosie November 20, 2013 at 5:38 pm #

How incredibly wonderful and exciting! John Paul and Cecilia are 18.5 months apart and the timing couldn’t have been more perfect 🙂 Ari will love this new baby so much!

10. hayleyonthego November 20, 2013 at 7:06 pm #

So happy for you!!!!!!!!! And loving the blog- please keep chronicling your journey.

11. Sarah- Nadine November 21, 2013 at 10:25 am #

Congrats. I love your blog and I am sure you will be amazing at it no matter what life (or med school) thorws at you.

12. shamaness22 November 22, 2013 at 1:22 am #

Congratulations, Anna! Your family is an inspiration to many!

13. A Hopeful Doc November 23, 2013 at 6:01 pm #

Woot! A med school friend just showed me your blog and I’m pretty pumped, when do you think you’ll start back up? I’m a second year myself 🙂

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. flying solo | anna in med school - November 24, 2013

[…] many thanks to everyone for the kind comments/messages/words of glee & encouragement following our happy announcement earlier this week!!  We are touched and appreciative beyond measure, and I will do a better job […]

2. the things we inherit | anna in med school - November 28, 2013

[…] I had mentioned that I have been more anxious during this pregnancy.  When I met with the genetic counselor prior to the screening (a requirement), I told her that I […]

3. avascular necrosis | anna in med school - July 28, 2014

[…] a month later, I got pregnant.  I knew that no surgeon would touch me in my status, so I used the pregnancy as a practice in […]