baby names

2 Jan

Supposedly, we’ll have another baby GIRL in four months and change!

photo 1 (13)photo 2 (12)

Our anatomy scan last week went well–heart, kidneys, spine, brain, diaphragm, limbs, etc. all look healthy and appropriately sized.  But little Miss Modest kept her legs crossed.  The fellow resolved, “Well, I don’t see a penis.”  So we could still be surprised on b-day.

Everyone and his mother predicted that I was having a boy (then again, everyone also thought that Aurelia was a boy).  We had a boy name in mind but a girl name is still very much up for debate.

So far, my favorite suggestions have come from my friend, the Shakespeare scholar…in case you’re in need of some Elizabethan allusions:

Imogen (or Innogen, they are the same character, she’s pretty cool), Rosalind, Celia, Audrey, Phoebe, Nerissa, Portia (i think the character is a brat, but nothing bad happens to her, and she’s smart), Viola (my fav Shakespeare heroine!), Bianca (another brat, but, you know, doesn’t wind up poisoned or anything), Cressida (okay, okay, she gets sold to the greeks…but she handles it well!), Miranda, Marina (she’s pretty solid), Hermione (cool woman, crappy husband), Perdita, Eleanor (of Aquitaine), Beatrice, Titania, Hermia, Helena, Diana

My favorites of this list are Imogen (though John is frankly appalled by this preference), Rosalind, Portia, Viola (also my fav Shakespeare heroine–talk about badass!), and Miranda.

We’ve also been looking at family trees and found such gems as Sorlin and Fidelia (more than one Fidelia) on my side.  (Guy names included Lazareth and Ephraim.)

Advertisements

11 Responses to “baby names”

1. Melissa H-K January 2, 2014 at 9:22 am #

Just a warning that having a first name that is difficult to spell can be a pain in the neck for you and for the kid. (You might not believe how many ways people can spell Melissa. It was even worse before the great wave of Melissas started in about 1972.) Of course, you’ve already experienced this with Aurelia, so you kind of know what I mean. I’m thinking of Portia, especially, because I can just see people misspelling it like the car, Porsche. And then of course they’ll misspell that.

I really like Miranda and Beatrice for their etymologies as well as the way they sound. Miranda means “worthy of being marveled at” (yeah, that ends with a preposition—so sue me) and Beatrice (also spelled Beatrix, like Potter) means “she who blesses.” Some people say it means “blessed,” and I guess they could have a point; but think about “executrix.” One who executes, right? Beatus and Beata really mean “blessed.” But that’s enough Latin pedantry for today!

• annaojesus January 4, 2014 at 1:52 pm #

Ha! Yes, we definitely feel poorly that we’ve stuck one daughter with a name that’s rough on spelling! Right now we have a front-runner that’s not Shakespearian, I just loved the email above from my friend the Shakespeare scholar, I just had to share (and consider, of course 🙂 ).

And I really appreciate suggestions, so please keep them coming! I LOVE the name Beatrice/Breatrix, but unfortunately the Harry Potter character (who is pure evil!) ruined it as a name for a sweet girl 😦 It’s unfortunate that some of John’s or my favorite names are unusable because of poor associations :/

Also keep the Latin lessons coming!

• phantomdiver January 4, 2014 at 2:33 pm #

Wait—you’re thinking about “Bellatrix,” right? Totally different name. Probably means “one who makes war.” Not completely sure, but it makes sense, right? J. K. Rowling is pretty darned good about apt names.

2. pagingdrallie January 2, 2014 at 11:32 am #

I’m so glad that I’m not the only going going through pregnancy during medical school! Your blog gives me hope. Congratulations on the newest little one!

• annaojesus January 4, 2014 at 1:53 pm #

Awww, haha! Nope, definitely not alone! And thank you 🙂 I’m so glad you like my blog. How are you feeling?!

• annaojesus January 4, 2014 at 1:54 pm #

And, of course, congratulations to you as well!

3. serend1p1ty January 2, 2014 at 12:22 pm #

This is so exciting! Congratulations! One of my favorites is Viola – can’t wait to hear what you decide!

• annaojesus January 4, 2014 at 1:55 pm #

Thank you so much!! We’re pretty over-the-moon! Now if I can just make it through my sub-i at 7-months, I’ll be all set, I hope?

Ah, I love the name Viola (though I don’t want folks to pronounce it like the musical instrument 🙂 ). Our front-runner at the moment is not Shakespearian, but so fun to consider the options!

4. James Oppenheimer January 2, 2014 at 6:30 pm #

It is going to be hard to top the choice of a fine hymn tune. Hymn tunes have names, and “Aurelia” has always been one of my favorites. I just took a look through, and aside from saints’ names attached to some tunes, there are not a lot of them that would make good names.

• annaojesus January 4, 2014 at 1:56 pm #

Ooooo, I will need to find that hymn!! Thank you! I’m so glad you like “Aurelia.” It’s funny, as tough as the name is for folks to pronounce, we still love it more every day, and we hope she likes it. We call her mostly Aurelia at home, but Ari’s a cute and spunky nickname that we more than tolerate 🙂

• jwocrc January 4, 2014 at 5:45 pm #

The tune was originally intended for the hymn poem “Jerusalem the Golden,” which is of course how it got the name Aurelia (the golden one).